TrueCrypt is a software system for establishing and maintaining an on-the-fly-encrypted volume (data storage device). Onthe-fly encryption means that data is automatically encrypted right before it is saved and decrypted right after it is loaded, without any user intervention.
No data stored on an encrypted volume can be read (decrypted) without using
the correct password/keyfile(s) or correct encryption keys. Entire file system is
encrypted (e.g. file names, folder names, contents of every file, free space, meta
TrueCrypt is free open-source disk encryption software for Windows 7/Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux.
- Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.
- Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.
- Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).
- Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.
- Parallelization and pipelining allow data to be read and written as fast as if the drive was not encrypted.
- Encryption can be hardware-accelerated on modern processors.
- Provides plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.More information about the features of TrueCrypt may be found in the documentation.