Wapiti allows you to audit the security of your web applications.
It performs “black-box” scans, i.e. it does not study the source code of the application but will scans the webpages of the deployed webapp, looking for scripts and forms where it can inject data.
Once it gets this list, Wapiti acts like a fuzzer, injecting payloads to see if a script is vulnerable.
Wapiti can detect the following vulnerabilities :
- File disclosure (Local and remote include/require, fopen, readfile…)
- Database Injection (PHP/JSP/ASP SQL Injections and XPath Injections)
- XSS (Cross Site Scripting) injection (reflected and permanent)
- Command Execution detection (eval(), system(), passtru()…)
- CRLF Injection (HTTP Response Splitting, session fixation…)
- XXE (XmleXternal Entity) injection
- Use of know potentially dangerous files (thanks to the Nikto database)
- Weak .htaccess configurations that can be bypassed
- Presence of backup files giving sensitive information (source code disclosure)
Wapiti supports both GET and POST HTTP methods for attacks.
It also supports multipart and can inject payloads in filenames (upload).
Display a warning when an anomaly is found (for example 500 errors and timeouts)
Makes the difference beetween permanent and reflected XSS vulnerabilities.
General features :
- Generates vulnerability reports in various formats (HTML, XML, JSON, TXT…)
- Can suspend and resume a scan or an attack
- Can give you colors in the terminal to highlight vulnerabilities
- Different levels of verbosity
- Fast and easy way to activate/deactivate attack modules
- Adding a payload can be as easy as adding a line to a text file
- Support HTTP and HTTPS proxies
- Authentication via several methods : Basic, Digest, Kerberos or NTLM
- Ability to restrain the scope of the scan (domain, folder, webpage)
- Automatic removal of a parameter in URLs
- Safeguards against scan endless-loops (max number of values for a parameter)
- Possibility to set the first URLs to explore (even if not in scope)
- Can exclude some URLs of the scan and attacks (eg: logout URL)
- Import of cookies (get them with the wapiti-cookie and wapiti-getcookie tools)
- Can activate / deactivate SSL certificates verification
- Extract URLs from Flash SWF files
- HTML5 aware (understand recent HTML tags)Wapiti is a command-line application.